Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Heros



This weekend was one of the scariest experiences of my life. Saturday was my birthday and conference so Eric went to the priesthood session while I went to my moms with the kids to play. At 10:00 I told the kids it was time to go. We needed to get home to bed. Sidney, as always, was stalling for time, she never wants to go home from grandmas. Sidney asked grandma about her bandalo from Young Womens so mom was looking for it when she got a tremendous headache. Right away I could see that she wasn't feeling well. She admitted that she wasn't ok, and then she said that she was scared. Once she said that I knew something was wrong. She laid down on the floor and Sidney sat with her while I called 911. By the time I got back to check on her, her neck was hurting and she couldn't lift her head up at all.

We went to the ER at AF hospital and they did a CT scan and found that she had an aneurysm burst. They transported us to Utah Valley hospital at that point to see their nuorological team. They decided to do an angyogram on her to see how bad the bleed was and to see if there were any other anurisyms that might be affected. When that came back we meet with the Doctor for options. This was not an easy thing. None of the options seemed that great when you are looking at the what ifs.

A family prayer was called. In my family this is huge. All of my life when anyone in my extened family has been faced with anything we have had prayer. I know that there is power there because I have seen it. Just as in my mom case. We had a small family prayer with just my sister and brothers and their spouse. We felt that the brain surgery was the best option. So when it came time for our big family prayer we were given permission for all of us to stash into her room. 19 of us gathered in a circle for prayer. After all the men in the room gave her a blessing. I could feel the strength of the priesthood, not just that I felt like if I had opened my eyes my dad would have been standing there.

Well, amazingly enough yesterday she had surgery. The name of it was right frontal craniotomy, clipping of the anterior communicating artery aneurysm. She came through like a champ. The nurses said they have never seen anyone do so well with something this serious.

She is my hero. My other hero is my daughter. Without her I would not have a mom any more. Heavenly Father has blessed us so much this past couple of days. I don't know what we would do without the power of prayer, family, and the knowledge of the gospel that lets us know that if my mom hadn't made it we would still have been just as blessed because He has a plan and we just have to have faith to live the best we can.

7 comments:

Melanee said...

Oh my! You have amazing and admirable heroes. You have such a large and amazing family. It brought tears to my eyes to see everything that you guys have been through in the past couple of days. If you need anything, anything at all, please let me know. We will keep our thoughts and prayers with you. I am glad that you had the gospel to help you through this.

Natalie said...

What an eventful weekend. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that she is doing much better. What a powerful story about what prayers can do for us! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
Hope you had a great birthday...

The Crandall Clan said...

WOW, your mom looks GREAT! The power of prayer is amazing. Tell her there were many prayers going up her way down here as well. And tell Sydney that she is one amazing girl. I cant believe how big and grown up she is getting. I cant wait to comeup and see you all this summer. Love you tonz.

Kimmie said...

I am so sorry to hear what happened. We are all so blessed to have the power of prayer , Priesthood and the Gosple in our lives. I so glad to hear everything went well.
Tell Sidney she is a super star!

Hadley's said...

I am sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. I love you so much Amber and your mom too! You are both AMAZING, and I too am so grateful for the power of prayer and preisthood. I am very grateful to be a part of such a neat family!! Our prayers are still with you all!!

Carterista said...

You and your family are great examples of living the gospel and partaking of it's special blessings. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm so very glad your mom is doing better now.

Brady and Lauren said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry about your mother. What a great gift the power of prayer is and I'm so happy your mother is doing better.